The Spirit of Maya Award is presented to an individual who reflects literary icon Maya Angelou’s work to create a better world. It is awarded during the organization’s FriendRaiser, the organization's annual fundraiser and donor appreciation event.
Stacey McAdoo is a writer, educator and literary advocate who has conducted numerous writing workshops and poetry readings at Arkansas schools, libraries, universities and programs. She has served as an oral communications instructor at Little Rock Central High School for 18 years and is currently a mentor for novice teachers in the Little Rock School District, as well as a sponsor for spoken-word collective, The Writeous Poets. In fall 2018, she was named 2019 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
“The Spirit of Maya Award recognizes those who exude the leadership, creativity and community-building that Maya Angelou demonstrated in her work and teachings,” said Janis F. Kearney, founder and president of the Celebrate! Maya Project. “Stacey McAdoo is an outstanding educator and writer who has greatly impacted the way numerous Arkansas youth are able to express themselves through writing and spoken word.”
McAdoo will serve as the featured speaker for the Celebrate! Maya Project’s 2020 FriendRaiser, a program of music, poetry and speakers that will take place 6 p.m. Nov. 30 via Zoom and Facebook Live this year due to COVID-19.
Because of your support, in 2020 alone this is what we have accomplished:
1) Mississippi County Youth Writing and History Project
2) Build a Better World Lecture Series, in partnership with the AR Humanities Council
3) Celebration of Maya Angelou's Birthday through community poetry night
4) Awarded two Celebrate! Maya scholarships
5) Awarded two Emerging Poetry awards
6) Created CMP "In The Kitchen With Kelli" - a live cooking show featuring Maya Angelou's recipes
7) Celebrate! Maya Presents - a community outreach initiative to Take Maya to Arkansas Communities and Schools
MAIL CHECKS TO:
P.O. BOX 241792
Little Rock, AR 72223